Wednesday 14 September 2011

Fantastico Scones!


 
I was so excited to start this blog and then after two recipes I went on a long hiatus. Can I blame my total lack of photography skills? So hard to capture the yummy-ness! But I'm back and hopefully will keep up a regular posting schedule going.

So today I bring you scones! After making buttermilk biscuits I got a craving for scones(and their raisins) and strangely enough a recipe dropped into my lap. One of the managers in a satellite office gave it to me, she ended up getting it as a 'recipe of the week' from a hotel she stays at when she's visiting other offices. I also did some snooping on allrecipes and found similar recipes but I got it from her and I loved them thus I share. Although I admit next time I may try a little vanilla.

My one regret with these is that I didn't have them with jam and cream, it would have been heavenly I am sure.  The recipe is fairly easy. I was a little worried at first as I have never zested anything before and I had no idea how much to put.. I went for almost the whole lemon and wasn't disappointed!

Keep in mind this recipe can be altered by switching out raisins with something else you may prefer and feel free to leave out the lemon/orange if its not your thing. I am not a lemon fan but I was surprised what a delightful taste it gave the scone.

Scones
From Unknown hotel in the wilds of the Canadian Prairies

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 cups all purpose flour
 1 cup white sugar
 2 tsp baking powder
 1 tsp salt
 1 cup butter, cold and cubed
 1 egg
 1 cup raisins (or whichever goodie you choose!)
zest of one lemon/orange...maybe less if its a big orange. (Use your judgement on how much you want)
*milk as needed

-In a small bowl blend sour cream, baking soda and lemon zest, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, cream of tartar, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in Butter. Now stir in the sour cream mixture and egg into flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in raisins. *If needed I used a little bit of milk to moisten it a bit.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into wedges(or go crazy and do your own shapes!) Place wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown on the bottoms.

0 comments:

Post a Comment